Toyota Sienna2005 models built after February 2005
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Sienna was redesigned for the 2004 model year. Beginning with 2005 models manufactured after February 2005, changes were made to the vehicle side structure and to the optional side torso airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Beginning with 2006 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2005 Sienna were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. Both were manufactured after the structural and airbag modifications had been made. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain and side torso airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2006 models, optional in 2004-05 models)
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2008 models, optional on 2004-07 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Toyota Sienna LE
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,242 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 119 in.
- Length: 200 in.
- Width: 77 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 26 mpg highway