Mazda MPV2000-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mazda MPV was redesigned for the 2000 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier. This hit did not produce high head injury measures, but head hits with intruding objects such as other vehicles, trees, and poles should be prevented. The high neck injury measures were recorded before the barrier hit the head.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window sill of the rear passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared red greasepaint indicates where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2003 models, optional on 2000-02 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Mazda MPV LX
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 3,770 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 112 in.
- Length: 190 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 25 mpg highway