Chevrolet Malibu2005-07 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH STANDARD AND ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Malibu was redesigned for the 2004 model year. The earlier design remained in production through the 2005 model year, but was called the Chevrolet Classic and was sold only to fleets.
Two previous tests of a 2004 Malibu were conducted, one with an optional side curtain airbag for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. In the 2005-06 models, side airbags designed to protect drivers' and front passengers' torsos were added to the optional side curtain airbags previously available. Beginning with 2007 models, side curtain airbags became standard, but side torso airbags remained optional.
The three tested vehicles are rated separately, except that structural ratings for the vehicles are based on the two previous tests plus the latest test. Also, the rear passenger injury and head protection ratings are based on the two tests with side airbags.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummies in tests of both the 2005 and 2004 models with side airbags indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — In each of the two tests with side airbags, the dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof (test of 2005 model shown).
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain and side torso airbags
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional in 2004-06 models) and front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional beginning with 2005 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,258 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 188 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 32 mpg highway