Chevrolet Blazer1995-2004 models
results also apply to: 1998-2001 GMC Envoy | 1995-2001 GMC Jimmy | 1996-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Blazer and GMC Jimmy were redesigned for the 1995 model year, the Oldsmobile Bravada was redesigned for 1996, and the GMC Envoy was introduced in 1998.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. As the dummy moved into the airbag, its torso rolled off the bag toward the driver door. Its head hit the window sill, denting it, then hit the B-pillar. Also, there was too much upward movement of the steering column.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the chest and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head when the dummy moved forward into the airbag indicate that injuries to the head would be possible. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the window sill/B-pillar, indicating that further injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on the right tibia and acceleration on the right foot indicate that injuries to the lower leg and foot would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- Deformation at the window sill indicates where the back of the dummy's head hit hard. The blue greasepaint on the B-pillar indicates where the side of the dummy's head hit about the same time.
- Some occupant compartment deformation occurred even on the passenger side, which is unusual in an offset crash on the driver side.
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (standard beginning with 1996 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1996 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,103 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 182 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 4.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 21 mpg highway