Ford Explorer1995-2001 models
results also apply to: 1997-2001 Mercury Mountaineer
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Explorer was redesigned for the 1995 model year and the Mercury Mountaineer was introduced in 1997.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. During the crash, the driver door opened. This opening significantly affected dummy movement during the test and shouldn't happen because, in some crashes, it could allow partial or complete occupant ejection. After the dummy moved suddenly toward the door, its head went outside the occupant compartment. Its neck tilted back excessively when the shoulder belt tightened across the base of the dummy's neck. As the dummy came back into the occupant compartment, its head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, chest, and legs indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the neck indicate that injuries to the neck would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- When the driver door opened, the dummy's head went outside the occupant compartment. The lap/shoulder belt prevented the dummy from being ejected.
- The safety belt caught the dummy's neck when its head went out the open door.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional, beginning with 1999 models).
- Built-in child restraints (optional in 1995-98 Explorer models and 1997-98 Mountaineer models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,255 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 112 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 20 mpg highway