Volkswagen Passat1995-97 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volkswagen Passat was restyled and re-engineered for the 1995 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The right side of the seat moved forward along its track about an inch, and the seat pitched forward and to the left. The dummy's head hit the roof rail and door frame, finishing outside the occupant compartment in the gap left between the two structures.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and right leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be likely. The actual force on the left tibia was even higher than recorded because one of the data channels reached the maximum reading. Head acceleration from the roof rail/door frame hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Despite outward appearances, the occupant compartment was seriously compromised when the floor buckled in the offset test.
- Dummy movement during the crash wasn't well controlled -- the dummy's head finished between the roof rail and door frame.
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,131 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 182 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 25 mpg highway