Chevrolet Cavalier1995-2005 models
results also apply to: 1995-2002 Pontiac Sunfire
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Cavalier and the Pontiac Sunfire were redesigned for the 1995 model year. The Sunfire sedan was dropped after the 2002 model year, and the Cavalier was dropped after the 2005 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The dummy rotated around the left side of the airbag and, during rebound, the right rear of the dummy's head hit the window sill, denting it. Then the dummy's head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and right leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the window sill, indicating that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on the left tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be likely. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Post-crash damage shot.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- Dummy movement wasn't well controlled during the crash test. Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the window sill, producing a high head acceleration.
- The dummy's legs finished trapped by footwell intrusion.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional on 2003-05 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional on 2003-05 models, standard on 1995-2002 models)
- Daytime running lights (1996-2005 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,716 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 180 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 25 mpg city | 32 mpg highway