Chevrolet Silverado 15001999-2006 models
results also apply to: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic | 1999-2006 GMC Sierra 1500 | 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Classic
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 were redesigned during the 1999 model year (the previous design extended into the early 1999 model year). The Classic nameplate was added in the 2007 model year to distinguish what effectively are carryover 2006 models from the redesigned 2007 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500.
Note: These ratings do NOT apply to the redesigned 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, its head dropped down below the window sill. Then the head rebounded upward and hit the shoulder belt housing, which is mounted directly to the seat back. There was far too much upward movement of the steering wheel. Also, the driver seat came loose on one of its tracks and moved rearward slightly on the right side, where the safety belt buckle is anchored.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the belt housing hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- Poor control of dummy movement allowed the head to drop below the window sill.
- Footwell and instrument panel intrusion, in combination with the driver seat pitching forward, greatly reduced the space for the dummy's legs and feet.
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2001 Chevrolet Silverado LS 1500 (2wd extended cab)
- Class: Large pickup
- Weight: 4,709 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 144 in.
- Length: 228 in.
- Width: 78 in.
- Engine: 4.8 L V8
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 20 mpg highway