Mitsubishi Galant1994-98 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mitsubishi Galant was redesigned for the 1994 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The dummy rotated around the left side of the airbag. Its left shoulder hit a sharp edge of the buckling window frame, which could cause lacerations, and its head hit the window frame. The left knee pushed through the instrument panel and hit the steering column's attachment hardware, producing a gash in the dummy's vinyl "skin" at its knee.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be likely. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the window frame hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Severe distortion of the occupant compartment is evident after the offset test, as is the shortening of the driver door width opening.
- As in every crash, deformation was greater during the crash than is evident from a photo taken after the impact. The A-pillar was driven backward toward the dummy's head.
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1995 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 2,912 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 87 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 28 mpg highway