Chevrolet Cobalt 4-door2005-09 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Cobalt was introduced in the 2005 model year as a replacement for the Cavalier.
Two tests of a Cobalt were conducted, one with an optional side airbag for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Beginning with 2008 models, side airbags were made standard, except in cars sold to fleet buyers that could still be ordered without side airbags. Caution: This means that when fleet vehicles without side airbags are eventually sold, they will be available to retail purchasers.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis also would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame and window sill of the rear passenger door. These impacts did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the window frame and window sill of the rear passenger door. The window frame was bent by the impact.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2008 models for retail purchase, optional in all 2005-07 models and in 2008-09 models originally sold to fleets)
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2008 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,813 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 180 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 32 mpg highway