Saturn ION2003-07 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Saturn ION was introduced for the 2003 model year as a replacement for the Saturn SL.
Two tests of an ION were conducted, one with an optional side airbag for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Head and neck injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. Neck injuries as well as rib fractures would also be possible.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing moderately high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame of the rear passenger door, producing high head injury measures.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the window frame, which was bent by the impact.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Saturn ION 2 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,747 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 184 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 32 mpg highway