Mazda 3 sedan2005-08 models built after August 2004
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mazda 3 was introduced in the 2004 model year as a replacement for the Protege.
All 2005 and later Mazda 3 models manufactured after August 2004 include door trim panel changes to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Beginning with 2009 models, side airbags were made standard.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries plus rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis also would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that head injuries plus rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame and window sill of the rear passenger door, producing moderately high head injury measures.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the window frame and window sill of the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional in 2004-08 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2007 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Mazda 3 i 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,800 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 26 mpg city | 34 mpg highway