Honda CR-V2002-04 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Honda CR-V was redesigned for the 2002 model year. Front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags became standard beginning with 2005 models.
When side airbags are optional, as in this vehicle when it was tested, the Institute conducts the test without this option. If a manufacturer offering optional side airbags requests the Institute to conduct an additional test of a vehicle with this option and agrees to reimburse the cost of the vehicle, a second test is conducted. Honda did not request such a test.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries as well as serious neck injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the window sill of the driver door. This impact did not produce high injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head hitting the window sill.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (except 2002-04 LX models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Honda CR-V LX 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,327 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 26 mpg highway