Honda Accord 4-door2003-04 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Honda Accord was redesigned for the 2003 model year. Beginning with 2004 models, design changes were made to the optional side airbags for the drivers' and front passengers' chests. Beginning with 2005 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2004 Accord were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries, plus rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious head injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window sill and window frame of the rear passenger door. These impacts produced moderately high head injury measures. Hitting the window areas should be prevented.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared yellow greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head hit the window sill.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional, 2003-04 EX and LX models) and front and rear head curtain airbags (optional, 2003-04 EX models only)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Honda Accord LX 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,190 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 108 in.
- Length: 190 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 34 mpg highway