Mitsubishi Galant2004 models built after October 2003
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mitsubishi Galant was redesigned for the 2004 model year. All 2004 and later Galant models manufactured after October 2003 include a rear door structural upgrade to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
When side airbags are optional, as in this vehicle, the Institute conducts the test without this option. If a manufacturer offering optional side airbags requests the Institute to conduct an additional test of a vehicle with this option and agrees to reimburse the cost of the vehicle, a second test is conducted. Mitsubishi did not request such a test.
However, Mitsubishi made side airbags standard in the 2005 model year and the Institute tested the 2005 model. The 2004 and 2005 models are rated separately, except that the structural ratings and rear passenger injury and head protection ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive. Serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries also would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame and window sill of the rear door. These hits did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- A noticeable dent indicates where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,386 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 108 in.
- Length: 191 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 30 mpg highway