Mazda 62003-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mazda 6 was introduced in the 2003 model year as a replacement for the Mazda 626.
When side airbags are optional, as in this vehicle when it was tested, the Institute conducts the test without this option. If a manufacturer offering optional side airbags requests the Institute to conduct an additional test of a vehicle with this option and agrees to reimburse the cost of the vehicle, a second test is conducted. Mazda did not request such a test.
Note: Beginning with 2007 models, side airbags were made standard, so these ratings do not apply to 2007 and later models.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries, plus a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity. Rib fractures would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- A prominent dent indicates where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional in 2003-06 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2006 models, optional on 2003-05 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Mazda 6i 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,137 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 105 in.
- Length: 187 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.3 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 29 mpg highway