Honda Element2003-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Honda Element was introduced in the 2003 model year.
When side airbags are optional, as in this vehicle when it was tested, the Institute conducts the test without this option. If a manufacturer offering optional side airbags requests the Institute to conduct an additional test of a vehicle with this option and agrees to reimburse the cost of the vehicle, a second test is conducted. Honda did not request such a test.
Note: Beginning with 2007 models, the Element is equipped with standard side airbags for front and rear passengers, so these ratings do not apply to 2007 and later models.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the window sill of the driver door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the rear quarter glass. This impact did not produce high head injuriy measures, but the head protection is in adequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head hitting the window sill.
- The rear passenger dummy's head hit and broke the rear quarter glass (note fragments remaining).
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional on 2003-05 models, standard on 2006 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Honda Element EX 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,508 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 101 in.
- Length: 169 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 24 mpg highway