Mitsubishi Outlander2003-05 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mitsubishi Outlander was introduced in the 2003 model year.
When side airbags are optional, as in this vehicle when it was tested, the Institute conducts the test without this option. If a manufacturer offering optional side airbags requests the Institute to conduct an additional test of a vehicle with this option and agrees to reimburse the cost of the vehicle, a second test is conducted. Mitsubishi did not request such a test.
Note: the 2006 model Outlander is equipped with standard side airbags for the driver and front passenger, so these ratings do not apply to 2006 models.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries, plus rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries as well as a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint and glass on the barrier show where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard in 2006 models; optional in 2003-05 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,444 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 25 mpg highway