Toyota Corolla2003-08 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Corolla was redesigned for the 2003 model year. Side curtain airbags designed to protect front and rear occupants’ heads became optional beginning with 2005 models, in addition to the optional side airbags designed to protect drivers’ and front passengers’ torsos available since 2003.
Two tests of a Corolla were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional beginning with 2005 models)
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional, 2003-04 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2005 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Toyota Corolla LE 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,584 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 102 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 30 mpg city | 38 mpg highway