Land Rover Freelander2002-05 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST NO SIDE AIRBAGS AVAILABLE
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Land Rover Freelander was introduced in the 2002 model year.
Two tests of the Freelander were conducted. The injury and head protection ratings for the driver are based on just the second test. Measures taken from the driver in the first test were not used because of a dummy malfunction. Injury and head protection ratings for the rear-seat passenger are based on both tests. Structural ratings also are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummies in the two tests, taken together, indicate that serious head injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head came close to the intruding barrier. Although the barrier did not hit the head, this test indicates that a taller occupant or one in a higher seating position would be at risk of a direct hit.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door in both tests. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test, showing the driver dummy's head coming close to the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where rear passenger head hit the vehicle interior at the pillar behind the rear door.
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 and 2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,545 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 101 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 20 mpg highway