Toyota Camry2002-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Camry was redesigned for the 2002 model year. Beginning with 2004 models, side structural changes were made to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes. (Toyota reported that the structural changes would not significantly affect side-impact performance in models without side airbags; therefore the overall side impact rating for 2002-05 models without side airbags is the same.)
Two tests of the Camry were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would also be possible. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the window sill of the rear door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads. The impact with the window sill did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- A prominent dent and glass marks indicate where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional on 2002-04 models, standard on 2005-06 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Toyota Camry LE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,197 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 32 mpg highway