Nissan Altima2002-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Altima was redesigned for the 2002 model year. Beginning with 2005 models, door changes were made to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes. (Nissan reported that these door changes would not significantly affect side-impact performance in models without side airbags; therefore, the overall side impact rating for 2002-05 models without side airbags is the same.)
When side airbags are optional, as in this vehicle, the Institute conducts the test without this option. If a manufacturer offering optional side airbags requests the Institute to conduct an additional test of a vehicle with this option and agrees to reimburse the cost of the vehicle, a second test is conducted. Nissan did not request such a test.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries and neck injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis also would be likely. Rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a left femur fracture would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious neck injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head hit the window sill of the rear passenger door, producing moderately high neck injury measures. Hitting the window areas should be prevented.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- A prominent dent indicates where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,095 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 192 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 29 mpg highway