Dodge Neon2000-05 models
results also apply to: 2003-05 Dodge SRT-4 | 2000-01 Plymouth Neon
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Dodge and Plymouth Neon were redesigned for the 2000 model year. Side airbags were made optional beginning with 2001 models. The Plymouth Neon was dropped after the 2001 model year, and the high-performance Dodge SRT-4 model was added in the 2003 model year. Both the Dodge Neon and SRT-4 were dropped after the 2005 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis also would be likely.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. A left femur fracture also would be likely.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Embedded glass fragments and paint marks indicate where the rear passenger's head was hit by the barrier.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional on 2001-05 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,654 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 105 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 25 mpg city | 32 mpg highway