Suzuki Grand Vitara1999-2005 models
results also apply to: 1999-2004 Chevrolet Tracker | 1999-2004 Suzuki Vitara
SIDE IMPACT TEST NO SIDE AIRBAGS AVAILABLE
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Suzuki Grand Vitara and Suzuki Vitara were introduced in the 1999 model year, and the Chevrolet Tracker was redesigned the same year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries as well as rib fractures and a fracture of the pelvis would be possible. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,280 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 98 in.
- Length: 164 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.7 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 20 mpg highway