Dodge Stratus2001-06 models
results also apply to: 2001-06 Chrysler Sebring
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring were redesigned for the 2001 model year.
When side airbags are optional, as in these vehicles, the Institute conducts the test without this option. If a manufacturer offering optional side airbags requests the Institute to conduct an additional test of a vehicle with this option and agrees to reimburse the cost of the vehicle, a second test is conducted. DaimlerChrysler did not request such a test.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures plus a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries also would be possible. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier. This hit did not produce high head injury measures, but head hits with intruding objects such as other vehicles, trees, and poles should be prevented.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the window sill of the rear door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads. The impact with the window sill did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head hit the pillar behind the rear door and the window sill.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights (optional on cars sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,126 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 108 in.
- Length: 191 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 30 mpg highway