Ford Focus 4-door2000-07 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Focus was introduced in the 2000 model year and modestly restyled for the 2005 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries, plus rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis would also be possible, and loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures as well as a left femur fracture would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, as well as the window sill and window frame of the rear passenger door and the pillar behind the door. These impacts did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the window sill and window frame of the rear passenger door and the pillar behind the door. The head was also hit by the intruding barrier (not shown).
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control (optional on 2001-03 models only)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,707 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 26 mpg city | 32 mpg highway