Chevrolet Cobalt 4-door2005-09 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Cobalt was introduced in the 2005 model year as a replacement for the Cavalier.
Two tests of a Cobalt were conducted, one with an optional side airbag for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Beginning with 2008 models, side airbags were made standard, except in cars sold to fleet buyers that could still be ordered without side airbags. Caution: This means that when fleet vehicles without side airbags are eventually sold, they will be available to retail purchasers.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2008 models for retail purchase, optional in all 2005-07 models and in 2008-09 models originally sold to fleets)
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2008 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,826 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 180 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 32 mpg highway