Kia Spectra2004-08 models built after November 2003 and before September 2007
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Kia Spectra was redesigned during the 2004 model year. (The old design was produced through November 2003; these cars are also designated as 2004 models.) All 2004 and later Spectra models manufactured after November 2003 are the redesigned cars (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Kia has made structural and side torso airbag modifications beginning with 2008 models manufactured after August 2007, so these ratings do not apply to cars built after this date.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a left femur fracture would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Kia Spectra EX 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,870 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 176 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 34 mpg highway