Hyundai Elantra2001-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Hyundai Elantra was redesigned for the 2001 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A left femur fracture also would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that head injuries plus rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame, glass, and sill of the rear passenger door, producing moderately high head injury measures.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the window frame, glass, and sill of the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,892 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 32 mpg highway