Saturn ION2003-07 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Saturn ION was introduced for the 2003 model year as a replacement for the Saturn SL.
Two tests of an ION were conducted, one with an optional side airbag for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Head injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof. Still, moderately high head injury measures were recorded.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag. Even so, forces recorded on the head were moderately high.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Saturn ION 2 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,767 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 184 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 32 mpg highway