BMW X52001-06 models built after June 2000
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW X5 was introduced in the 2000 model year. All 2001-06 X5 models manufactured after June 2000 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a 2001 X5 with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained very well.
- Intrusion into the driver's space was minimal, and all leg and foot injury measures were low.
- Dummies' knees and/or shins routinely hit and often damage the areas under the instrument panel. These areas are smoothly padded and contoured in the X5.
- Side airbags: front head tubular airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear door-mounted torso airbags (optional); rear head tubular airbags (standard in 2003-06 models, optional in 2001-02 models)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (dealer-installed option)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2001 BMW X5 3.0i 4wd
- Class: Midsize luxury SUV
- Weight: 4,665 lbs.
- Side airbags: front head tubular airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 184 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 20 mpg highway