Volvo S402005-11 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volvo S40 was redesigned during the 2004 model year (the new design entered production in January 2004 and the earlier design remained in production into February 2004). Beginning with 2005 models, changes were made to the B-pillar trim to improve deployment reliability of the side curtain airbags.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Built-in child restraints (optional)
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional on 2005-06 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,245 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 176 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 5-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 30 mpg highway