Lexus ES 3302004-06 models built after April 2004
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Lexus ES 300 was redesigned for the 2002 model year and renamed the ES 330 for the 2004 model year because the engine size was increased. All ES 330 models manufactured after April 2004 include modifications to the rear door trim panels to improve rear seat occupant protection in side-impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Two tests of the ES 330 were conducted. The injury ratings for the rear passenger are based on just the second test; measures for the rear passenger in the first test were not obtained because of equipment failure. The injury ratings for the driver and the head protection ratings for both the driver and passenger are based on both tests. Structural ratings also are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummies in the two tests, taken together, indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — In both tests, the dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — In both tests, the dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the second of two crash tests.
- View of the vehicle after the second crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the second side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag in the second test.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Lexus ES 330 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,487 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 191 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 29 mpg highway