Mercedes C class2005 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mercedes C class was redesigned for the 2001 model year. Modifications were made to the front seats and side airbags beginning with 2005 models to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes. Beginning with 2006 models, the side airbags designed to protect rear passengers' torsos became optional (standard in 2005 models).
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the door.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the door.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side curtain airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side curtain airbag. Also shown is the door-mounted torso airbag, standard on the tested 2005 model, but optional beginning in 2006.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front and rear door-mounted torso airbags (rear torso airbags standard in 2005 models, optional in 2006-07 models)
- Automatically adjusting head restraints in front seats designed to move up or down as seats are adjusted forward or rearward
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Driver programmable headlights can serve as daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Mercedes C 240 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,347 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front and rear door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.6 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 24 mpg highway