Mitsubishi Galant2005-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mitsubishi Galant was redesigned for the 2004 model year. Seat-mounted side airbags designed to protect drivers' and front passengers' heads and torsos were made standard for the 2005 model year. (In 2004 side airbags designed to protect only torsos were optional.)
Two tests of the Galant were conducted, one a 2005 model equipped with standard side airbags, and one a 2004 model without side airbags. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings and rear passenger injury and head protection ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Note: Beginning with 2007 models, side curtain airbags designed to protect drivers' and front and rear passengers' heads and side airbags designed to protect drivers' and front passengers' torsos became standard, so these ratings do not apply to 2007 and later models.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame and window sill of the rear door. These impacts did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared yellow and red greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head hit the window sill and window frame.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,391 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 108 in.
- Length: 191 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 30 mpg highway