Subaru Legacy2005 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Subaru Legacy was redesigned for the 2005 model year.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of the Legacy in two side-impact crashes. In the first test, the driver side curtain airbag deployed improperly, with the result that the driver dummy's head was hit by the impacting barrier. Subaru found that the side curtain airbag manufacturing facility had been assembling the airbags incorrectly. This led Subaru to correct the assembly process for the side curtain airbags on models produced after June 1, 2004. Also, Subaru initiated a safety recall to modify, at its cost, vehicles produced earlier. The Institute tested a second Legacy with the modified airbags, and the driver side curtain airbag inflated properly, preventing the driver dummy's head from being hit by the impacting barrier. Ratings of the Legacy are based on the results of the second test, except structural performance is based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Loading to the shoulder was excessive. A fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from impact with any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from impact with any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the second of two crash tests.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the second side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side curtain airbag in the second crash test.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4-door 4wd
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,322 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 105 in.
- Length: 186 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 30 mpg highway