Toyota RAV42004-05 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota RAV4 was redesigned for the 2001 model year. Beginning with 2004 models, side airbags were added as options and structural changes were made to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes. (Toyota reported that the structural changes alone would not significantly affect side-impact performance; therefore, the overall side impact rating for 2004-05 models without side airbags is the same as for 2001-03 RAV4s.)
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side curtain airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional beginning with 2004 models)
- Electronic stability control (beginning with 2004 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2004 models, optional on 2001-03 models)
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Toyota RAV4 L 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,195 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 98 in.
- Length: 168 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 27 mpg highway