Subaru Forester2003-08 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Subaru Forester was redesigned for the 2003 model year.
Two tests of the Forester were conducted. The injury and head protection ratings for the driver are based on just the second test; measures for the driver in the first test were not used because the seating procedure was not comparable to other tested vehicles. Injury and head protection ratings for the rear seat passenger are based on both tests. Structural ratings also are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummies in the two tests, taken together, indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — In both tests, the dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door (second test shown).
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2007 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,192 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 99 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 26 mpg highway