Saab 9-51999-2009 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Saab 9-5 was introduced in the 1999 model year. Although engineering changes were made to improve frontal crashworthiness beginning with 2002 models built after November 2001, these changes were not expected to affect side-impact performance.
The 9-5 was modestly restyled for the 2006 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the window glass and window sill of the rear door. The pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads. The impacts with the window glass and sill did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the window glass and window sill of the rear door.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Built-in child restraints (optional in 1999-2002 models)
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2003 models, optional on 2002 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 4-door
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,505 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 190 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.3 L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 28 mpg highway