Nissan Xterra2000-04 models built after September 1999
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Xterra was introduced in the 2000 model year. All 2000 and later Xterra models manufactured after September 1999 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a 2000 Xterra with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar. There was far too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head when it hit the steering wheel through the airbag indicate that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on the right tibia and right foot indicate that injuries to the lower leg and foot would also be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates the driver's survival space was maintained well except for far too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
- The steering wheel moved upward far too much, which contributed to the dummy's head bottoming out the airbag and hitting the steering wheel.
- A strong safety cage helped keep the tire from buckling the sill beneath the driver door, maintaining the integrity of the occupant compartment. Crumpled structure in front of the occupant compartment indicates where the crash energy was absorbed.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional in 2003-04 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional on 2003-04 4wd models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2000 Nissan Xterra XE 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,162 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 18 mpg highway