Saturn L Series2001 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Saturn L Series was introduced in the 2000 model year. Side curtain airbags for drivers' and front and rear outboard passengers' heads were made optional on 2001 models and standard beginning with 2002 models. The L Series was discontinued after a limited number of 2005 models were manufactured.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head brushed past the side curtain airbag and was hit by the intruding barrier. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but head hits with intruding objects such as other vehicles, trees, and poles should be prevented.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from impact with any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head brushing past the side airbag and about to be hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (2002-05 models, optional in 2001 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard on 2002 and 2004-05 models, optional on 2001 and 2003 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Saturn L300.2 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,210 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 190 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 28 mpg highway