Hyundai Sonata1999-2005 models
results also apply to: 2001-06 Kia Optima built before October 2005
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Hyundai Sonata was redesigned for the 1999 model year, and the Kia Optima was introduced in the 2001 model year. The Sonata was again redesigned for 2006, but the Kia Optima remained unchanged for the early part of the 2006 model year (2006 cars manufactured before October 2005). Therefore the ratings listed here also apply to early 2006 Optimas.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the window sill of the rear door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads. The hit by the window sill did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the window sill of the rear door.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,277 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 197 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.7 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 27 mpg highway