Volkswagen New Beetle2004-10 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volkswagen New Beetle was reincarnated for the 1998 model year. Front seat-mounted side torso airbags were standard initially and were upgraded to front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags beginning with 2004 models.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis would also be likely. In addition, loading of the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear side window. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with the door removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear side window.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (2004-10 models)
- Electronic stability control (standard on 2006-10 models, optional on 2002-05 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,853 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 99 in.
- Length: 161 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 31 mpg highway