Ford Escape2001-04 models
results also apply to: 2001-04 Mazda Tribute
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute were introduced in the 2001 model year.
Two tests of a 2003 Escape were conducted, one with an optional side airbag for the driver, and one without. A third test of an Escape, a 2005 model, was conducted because the side airbags were changed beginning with 2005 models to include protection for the rear passenger. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the injury and head protection ratings for the rear passenger are based on both tests of the 2003 models. Structural ratings for the three vehicles are based on all three tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummies in the two tests of the 2003 model, taken together, indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — In both tests of the 2003 model, the dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the shoulder belt anchorage cover.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Ford Escape XLT 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,417 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 173 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 23 mpg highway