Hyundai Santa Fe2002-06 models built after March 2002
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Hyundai Santa Fe was introduced in the 2001 model year. Beginning with 2002 Santa Fe models manufactured after March 2002, they were equipped with standard side airbags for drivers' and front passengers' heads and chests (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
A redesigned, larger Santa Fe will be introduced in the spring of 2006.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a combination head/torso airbag that deployed from the side of the driver seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window glass of the rear passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from impact with hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the rear door window glass.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (beginning with 2002 models mfg. after March 2002)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,922 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 177 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 2.7 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 24 mpg highway