Ford Ranger extended cab1999-2011 models
results also apply to: 1999-2009 Mazda B Series extended cab
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series were redesigned for the 1998 model year. Extended cab models with four doors were introduced in the 1999 model year. The Mazda B Series was discontinued after the 2009 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury. However, there was too much forward tipping of the driver seat and too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on both tibias indicate that lower leg injuries would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well, but steering wheel movement and seat tipping were both excessive.
- Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled, despite the excessive tipping of the seat. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the head restraint.
- Forces on both lower legs were high enough to indicate the possibility of injuries.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (beginning with 2010 models)
- Electronic stability control (beginning with 2010 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2001 models; optional on 1999-2000 models). Note: rear-wheel antilock brakes standard on 1999-2000 models.
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Ford Ranger XLT (2wd SuperCab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 3,541 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 126 in.
- Length: 203 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 22 mpg highway