Mazda 3 sedan2004-09 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mazda 3 was introduced in the 2004 model year as a replacement for the Protege.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail.
Injury measures — Measures taken from dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy’s head hit the roof rail during rebound. Head acceleration from this hit was low.
- Intrusion into the driver's space was minimal, and forces on the legs and feet were low.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional in 2004-08 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2007 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2004 Mazda 3 s 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,853 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 2.3 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 24 mpg city | 29 mpg highway