Nissan Maxima2000-03 models built after November 1999
results also apply to: 2000-01 Infiniti I30 built after November 1999 | 2002-04 Infiniti I35
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Maxima and the Infiniti I30 (renamed I35 beginning with 2002 models) were redesigned for the 2000 model year. All 2000 and later Maxima and I30/I35 models manufactured after November 1999 include structural and airbag modifications to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a Maxima with the structural and airbag modifications in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be likely. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- The seat-mounted side airbag deployed after the frontal airbag did. The dummy's head remained inside the occupant compartment on rebound, so there was no contact between the head and side airbag.
- Footwell intrusion contributed to the likelihood of injuries to both lower legs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (I30/I35, optional in Maxima)
- Electronic stability control (optional beginning with 2002 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,220 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 108 in.
- Length: 190 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 28 mpg highway