Toyota RAV42001-04 models built after October 2000 and before January 2004
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota RAV4 was redesigned for the 2001 model year. All 2001 and later RAV4 models manufactured after October 2000 include structural and airbag modifications to improve occupant protection in frontal offset crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Further structural modifications were made beginning with 2004 models manufactured in January 2004 and later, so these ratings do not apply to the latest models.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a 2001 RAV4 with the initial structural and airbag modifications in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the steering wheel through the airbag, indicating that head injuries would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was negligible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- The grab handle on the driver door broke off at its upper end, and the dummy's left forearm hit a jagged plastic edge that gashed the vinyl "skin" near the elbow.
- Forces on both lower legs were just high enough to indicate the possibility of injuries.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional beginning with 2004 models)
- Electronic stability control (beginning with 2004 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2004 models, optional on 2001-03 models)
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2001 Toyota RAV4 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,104 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 98 in.
- Length: 166 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 27 mpg highway