Nissan Pathfinder1997-2004 models built after October 1996
results also apply to: 1997-2003 Infiniti QX4 built after October 1996
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Pathfinder was redesigned for the 1996 model year, and the Infiniti QX4 was introduced in 1997. All 1997 and later Pathfinder and QX4 models manufactured after October 1996 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The QX4 was discontinued after 2003, but the Pathfinder was continued through the 2004 model year before it was redesigned again.
The Institute has evaluated the crashworthiness of a 1997 Pathfinder with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. There was too much upward and rearward movement of the steering wheel. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and legs indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head as it moved into the airbag indicate that injuries to the head would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test -- plus the footwell intrusion -- indicate the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- Major intrusion in the driver footwell area trapped the dummy's right foot.
- There was too much upward and rearward movement of the steering wheel.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional on 2003-04 Nissan Pathfinder)
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (standard on late 1999-2003 Infiniti QX4, optional on 1999-2002 Nissan Pathfinder)
- Electronic stability control (optional on 2003-04 Pathfinder models only)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,191 lbs.
- Side airbags: none.
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 178 in.
- Width: 69 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 19 mpg highway